Living the raw food lifestyle can present some challenges when it comes to packing lunches or eating 'on the go'. Sandwiches are portable and travel well. Making bread with the square Easy Chip Bread form (B200) works great! All of the bread slices are the same size and thickness. No more searching for those 2 matching pieces of bread! Dehydrate to your desired soft of firm texture and you are ready to make those delicious sandwiches. One of our favorites has a filling of cashew cheese, thinly sliced cucumber and sweet onion, cilantro, alfalfa sprouts and avocado slices. A sprinkle of Himalayan pink salt and cayenne pepper and we are ready of that road trip! There are so many great fillings, from raw nut pates to any combination of your favorite veggies. Tell us your favorites!
Tip: When making sandwiches that won't be eaten right away, make sure that your lettuce and veggies are completely dry, so you don't end up with a soggy sandwich!
This onion bread recipe can also be used to make tasty onion chips. Unless you are 2 dehydrators, we recommend cutting this recipe in half, since this recipe makes around 350 chips. Use the thin round Easy Chip form (C100) for a delicious chip.
Equipment needed: Blender, Food Processor, Dehydrator
Use the Easy Chip B200 square or C4200 round bread form, or the Easy Chip C100 thin round form
36 oz. blended sweet onion (approximately 3 large onions)
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup flax seed
1 cup raw cashews
1 T Himalayan pink salt
- Grind cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds into a flour in the high speed blender. Put this mixture aside in a bowl.
- Remove skins from onions, roughly chop and place in blender. Blend, adding onion pieces until liquified and 36 ounces are obtained.
- Pour liquified onions into the food processor with the 'S' blade. Add ground nut/seed flour and salt. Process until well combined and smooth batter is obtained.
Now - are you making bread or chips?
- For Bread: Place the Easy Chip Bread on the Teflex dehydrator sheet and spread batter. Dehydrate for 6-8 hours at 115ºF, then remove from the Teflex sheets and finish dehydrating on the mesh screen for approximately 8 - 12 hours until desired texture is obtained. Bread should still be pliable. Refrigerate. Makes approximately 36 slices of bread.
- For Chips: Place the round thin Easy Chip form on the Teflex dehydrator sheet and spread batter. Dehydrate for 6 hours at 115ºF, then remove from the Teflex sheet and finish dehydrating on the mesh screen for 18+ hours until crispy. Store in an airtight container. Makes approximately 200 - 300 chips.